Dr. Christian Heesch reached for the stars when taking on the challenges of becoming a Marine Biologist. He continued full steam ahead with his career by furthering his education and receiving his Ph.D. in Marine Biology.
The fact that he is not afraid to get his feet wet or hands dirty, drives him forward and gives him a great sense of appreciation for the environment. One of his life’s goals is to build a marine sanctuary. Dr. Heesch has even chosen a name for his future sanctuary, “The Soldiers of the Ocean”. He envisions his sanctuary will additionally assist the preservation of marine life by educating visitors of the sanctuary in a fun and exciting manner.
Interning with the Department of Environmental Conservation in the State of New York provided Dr. Christian Heesch with insight and experience, providing the steam for him to move ahead in his career goals. During his internship there he carried out duties that included the following responsibilities:
- Reviewed tidal wetlands, including the dredging and dredge material management and permit applications.
- Advised and assisted regulatory parties with the developing sampling plans, permit applications, and regulatory reviews.
- Assisted in the development of sustainable and economically feasible dredging and dredge management practices, technologies, and placement sites.
- Took part in reviewing existing policies, procedures, and regulations, as appropriate.
- Participated in harbor stakeholder groups.
- Inspected and monitored permitted dredging and dredge material management projects in the marine environment.
- Inspected and monitored restoration projects for compliance.
- Developed and implemented marine restoration projects using dredged sediments.
- Built and maintained relationships with government and harbor stakeholders.
- Provided support for seasonal window workshops with harbor stakeholder groups.